When this pastor left, well...he was the one who insisted I get my local pastor license so that I could do marriages and such. He was the one who said I needed to be dating. He was the one who said my father needed to meet me. I tried to do everything he asked of me, because I knew him to be a good man, a man I still respect. He was a better leader than anyone else I have ever met. Protestant and Catholic.
When he was packing, he gave me a strange gift, obviously old and from the back of his closet. It was dusty.
These are the words on it:
About Love and Death
...if the dead can come back to the earth
and flit unseen around those they loved,
I shall always be with you.
in the gladdest days and the darkest nights...
Always, always.
And if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek,
it shall be my breath.
As the cool air fans your throbbing temple
it shall be my spirit passing by...
Do not mourn me dead.
Think I am gone and wait for thee.
For we shall meet again.
excerpt of a letter...Sullivan Bailou
July 16, 1861
written to his wife before a Civil War battle in which he died.
It was an odd and wonderful gift from my mentor. It is the manner in which people give me gifts. I had one literally throw one at me once. It was also a special gift. I have always had an unusual effect on people. My goal has always been to help others see their truth...hoping that they will help me to see mine. The thank yous come in such unusual packages. I like that. I look at this picture...and I am thinking it may be time for me to pass it along, too, to another who needs it more. But I, too, will give it away in an odd way...there is no other choice.
But today, as I go off to meet the woman my husband choose instead of me, I go with joy...because he followed what he wanted most...just like me. This weekend will be hard and I am frightened, but so many good blessings are possible.
I wonder what will happen next?
But today, as I go off to meet the woman my husband choose instead of me, I go with joy...because he followed what he wanted most...just like me. This weekend will be hard and I am frightened, but so many good blessings are possible.
I wonder what will happen next?
Love, Cindy
No comments:
Post a Comment