MONSTRANCE (emblem)
A symbol of the Blessed Sacrament since the monstrance is the sacred vessel which contains the consecrated Host when exposed or carried in procession. It is a well-known emblem of St. Clare, who is reported to have repulsed unbelievers who assaulted her convent of nuns by presenting to their gaze Christ in the monstrance. St. Peter Julian Eymard, founder of the Blessed Sacrament Fathers, is symbolized carrying the monstrance and blessing the people with it. St. Thomas Aquinas has the monstrance among his many emblems as the author of the famous hymns Lauda Sion and Pange Lingua, written to honor the Eucharistic Lord. St. John Neumann, who first established the forty hours' devotion in America, and St. Paschal Baylon, patron of Eucharistic Congresses, are both represented in art with the monstrance. (Etym. Latin monstrans, from monstrare, to show, point out, indicate.)
Very interesting week. Met with two priests and a nun. And an almost priest. And and artist. And then celebrated Mass with three nuns from the Missionaries of Charity. My Catholic friends will probably correct me: only priests celebrate the Mass. Ah yes...well, what to do we with the priesthood of believers...and isn't the Mass, in fact a communal effort? Those who gather celebrate. They also sacrifice.
Being a moon child, this week has significant meaning for me on many levels. Nine months ago I made a promise to God to live deliberately within His Light. Each day since then has been a step forward into that Light. It is both exhilirating and terrifying. And there is no turning back, there is only turning away. And that is something I do not wish to do.
The new moon was October 7th. Our Lady of the Holy Rosary was also October 7th. And for the last month or so, I have found myself in a spiritual plain that is exquisite and compelling. I have done my best to engage many different souls who are consecrated to God to discuss with them this journey. And with consecrated souls not, shall I say, formally decreed holy, but in knowing them...I know they are holy people.
God has provided me with a bouquet of men and women who make up parts of the Body of Christ who are willing to hear me and, at least in my presence, not judge the odd things I share with them.
It is truly a holiday of spirit.
I have allowed myself to lose myself in God this past month. I have wandered back into the mystery that I knew as a child. Of my experience of a truth that surpasses all human understandings and would, by its nature, sustain me through terrible evils and sufferings.
Such a thing is not unique. Please understand, I think God provides this for all of us, if we are willing to accept it. Not everyone accepts. Some are afraid. Some play it safe. Some have had it happen to them, but they can't or won't name it. But I'm putting the pieces together. And who knows what the picture will look like.
I have to go to Mass now, but I'm posting this. I'll finish it when I get home.
Love, Cindy
No comments:
Post a Comment