Thursday, April 4, 2013

What's left?

If I could hold you now
Would we be better at loving
Than when we were children?

Would we recognize the greatest things in the world
the roughness of climbing a tree
the blades of grass between out toes
the tadpoles tickling our ankles
when we wade through the creek
eating PB&J in the treehouse
building fires to warm the venison sausages
laughing at the cow
who mooed back

Kissing you in the moonlight
or under a street lamp
listening to you play the piano
telling me the Beatles were
the best musicians in the world
and I agreed back then
only because
you were my best friend

I remember the heaviness
of your body
when you leaned over me
in the woods
on the spring day
the bare branches of trees
making the sun seem so much like the star
it really was

There were good days...
we find them
even when we seem to only know
the mistakes
*************
My dreams have been so vivid and odd
since Easter this year.
Doesn't seem like quite such a coincidence now
that I graduated from the Chaplaincy
on the the same day that I found out
I was not my mother's child.
*************
I pray now to God to help me write out my story
Because the story has changed
So drastically
again.
4-1-13
Love, Cindy




No comments:

Post a Comment