Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Because she wrote about fireflies and stars

Because she wrote about fireflies and stars and theology
Because he said the right thing two days before
Because she didn't talk with me all week
Because we had to ride together
Because it was raining
Because we laughed so hard at inappropriate times
Because she held my hand
Because she smiled at me
Because he smiled at me
Because it was raining
Because it was sunny
Because we had to walk through bird poop
Because she offered a ride
Because she showed me her office
Because they rang the bells
Because the room had two windows
Because I had a quiet place to sit
Because I found the cemetery
Because I walked the labyrinth
Because they had a washing machine
Because I got to pray over her with them
Because there was chocolate on my desk
Because they said I could wear my ring
Because she had a denim habit
Because the van made funny noises
Because we ate chicken three times is a row
Because she said, "Traveling makes you hungry, huh?"
Because the piano keys stuck
Because she remembered my name
Because I sang for Him in the abbey
Because we were silent at breakfast
Because we talked at breakfast
Because the wheelchair bumped into my back
Because I lost my key
Because she found it
Because she drove us to Mass
Because they didn't mind my wrong notes
Because the monk said I looked like his cousin
Because there was a balcony
Because I sat in the swing
Because I read to her the hours in the car
Because we lost three dollars at the casino
Because her mother loved her enough to let her go
Because she loved me as a daughter
Because she asked "What gift are you hiding from us?"
Because she blessed us before we left
Because I rang the bell
Because I didn't run away
Because he believed me
Because he believed in me
Because he listened
Because they welcomed me
Because she gave me a shawl
Because she told me it didn't matter
Because she was there
Because he was there
Because he accepted me just as I am
Because he loved me
Because she loved me
Because we prayed together
Because we cried together
Because she gave me away
Because they brought me along
Because I was able to say yes
Because of all of you
Who dared to love me
Just as I am
Because He loved you first.

Thank you.

Love, Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment