The rain just came back, I first heard it on the skylight. I was really hoping that my car might dry out before I had to leave again...I left the roof open during noon Mass today. I told Fr John after Mass that when I first got married, there was a lot of rain in the middle of the night. My new husband's introduction to married life was to routinely go out into the rain in the middle of the might to roll up the window of my car.
Wives are so much work...and so much worth it. Right?
What does it really mean to be married? I thought of many cute paths to take here, the ways perhaps many young people view marriage, which is why they "play" at it so much...but I think it really comes down to three little words:
Stand by me.
A real relationship consists of being there, all the time, every time, for better or worse, mistakes, warts, confusion, rapture, suffering, success, births and deaths and colds and cancers, when the chiseled figure is not so chiseled, when he still sees you as a size 10 even though you left that number behind years ago.
It is simply and continuously:
Stand by me.
Take me as I am, not for what I was or what I might become, but as I am, here and now.
That really ought to be part of the marriage vows.
Love this person. Today and always. Bad breath and indigestion. Hair turning gray and in funny places. Babies healthy and babies not so healthy. When I'm learning and growing and when I am stagnant and stale. When I clever and when I am ignorant. When my socks match and when I wear the t-shirt with the holes. When the world adores me and when it walks away.
Stand by me.
Can't seem to think about much of anything else.
Thinking about rain in the middle of the night and someone who once loved me enough to roll up my windows...
It has been an interesting week...
Love, Cindy
No comments:
Post a Comment